Author Posts

May 18, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Do you have a garden or backyard with your favorite plants, flowers or vegetables?

My mom in law is pretty good at gardening.

She has the green thumb on green plants only, not flowers.

She used to get little seedlings, shoots or seeds from neighbor aunties.

They usually share their garden plants with each other.

She had planted 2 huge tea tree in our garden.

These are green teas that Chinese family love to drink when the weather is hot.

She had asked 2 little seedlings from one of the neighbors, planted onto the ground instead of the flower pots.

In order for the tea tree to grow bountiful of leaves, it had to been grown from the ground as the roots are long and the stems are solid enough to make a cane.

Rain water and rice water are the secret to enhance the tea tree to grow healthily.

She also adds into chunks of black charcoal with the soil which she said it is natural fertilizer.

When the tea tree leaves are huge, dark green, that is harvesting time.

Wash them, dry them under the sun, store them into plastic containers, we can have green tea all year round !

So, do you plant anything in your garden?

Where did you purchase, obtain the seeds/ seedlings?

May 18, 2016 at 5:08 pm

tea

these are the tea leaves ready for harvest- photo taken by peachpurple

May 18, 2016 at 5:11 pm

291220111181\

these are the dried tea leaves stored in container- taken by peachpurple

• This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by  peachpurple.

May 18, 2016 at 5:56 pm

@peachpurple  That is very interesting. I have seen tea plants in the Darjeeling valley but what I see in your photo is so different.

May 22, 2016 at 3:24 am

@bestwriter/

yeah, different isn’t it?

I think this is local tea leaves, more alike the China tea leaves.

Those are pretty small leaves when they dry up under hot sun.

Sometimes, I use these dried leaves to make compost for the vegetable plants.

They are also helpful in a  way to prevent the snails from crawling up to the vegetable leaves, eating up my poor plants.

Do you have the photo for Darjeeling tea leaves?

Thanks for your comments

May 22, 2016 at 4:40 am

@peachpurple. These days we do not get whole leaf tea.

May 22, 2016 at 4:44 am

@bestwriter/

you mean it is difficult to find tea leaves grown on land?

You can buy tea leaves in sachets or tea bags right?

I guess that home grown tea leaves are scarce.

May 22, 2016 at 5:54 am

@peachpurple – I have no access to tea gardens and what we get in packets is broken leaves along with tea dust.

May 22, 2016 at 8:54 am

I never learned how to plant but I love plants and super love trees. Maybe my hands are heavy that is why the seed will not grow if I am the one planting it. I envy those who can plant because I can’t do that and I am a little frustrated on this part. Lol. I can only water the plants and talk to them, but making them start from seed to become a mature plant, I never get to experienced that.

June 4, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Six years ago we had a tea garden in the province, but many abused the garden. They just pulled and pulled the leaves and so hard that the young roost were uprooted. I told the caretaker to fence the tea garden.That resolved the problem. Every week , our caretaker sent home dried leaves.The garden is non-existent this time.

June 4, 2016 at 4:41 pm

@peachpurple, Dried tea leaves are nice if drink it cold.

June 4, 2016 at 5:57 pm

@lovern/

yes tea leaves when it is drink cold, tasted sweet and fragrant.

While it is hot, you will taste the tea a bit bitter.

you mean that garden, anyone can enter and pick the tea leaves?

Not in your own garden, a public garden?

Ours is in our own garden, so nobody can pick them.

Until my neighbor started to spray pesticides and painted his fences, the paint flew onto the tea tree, contaminated them, withered.

My hubby thinks that our neighbor had purposedly killed our tea tree because he hated the tree that had grew into a huge and full of leaves, inviting mosquitoes.

Anyway, our neighbor never liked our garden plants either

June 5, 2016 at 3:32 pm

@peachpurple, It’s our tea garden only few square meters, but many of our neighbors were intrigued after they learned it’s tea. They just got without our permission. My parents dried them.

June 5, 2016 at 6:57 pm

@lovern/

well, your neighbor should have at least ask your parents permission to pluck those tea leaves, I means, those are your properties, right?

June 6, 2016 at 5:17 am

@peachpurple, my father was a retired military official, he was so kind that he allowed those passers to puck tea leaves.His reason was,tea has numerous leaves and we cannot consume them all.But when he left home for work, our eldest brother ordered a care taker to fence the tea garden using hog wires. I learned that tea leaves can purify our face. My brother’s pimples disappeared when he boiled some tea leaves then refrigerated the tea water and used it in the evening when washing his face before going to bed. We also followed .LOL.