Author Posts

May 18, 2016 at 3:09 pm

I shifted to a semi rural town just to be with nature but even those in cities can get a lot of joy nurturing a single plant. Right from the day it is planted to the day it yields its first flower and beyond is a source happiness.

What flowers do you grow?

May 20, 2016 at 6:48 am

I am not growing any flowers right now since we will be moving. Although, I do have some day lillies in the front flower bed that has been there for a few years. I used to have daffodils and tulips at the side of my house but they have gone and have not grown for a couple of years now. I do not have a lot of extra time to take care of flowers. I think when we move I would like to grow some that do not take much work to grow and take care of them.  My father used to have rose bushes along side the house and they were beautiful. We had red, pink, peach, and yellow ones. The pink one smelled like raspberries. It sounds crazy but it really did. We would be washing dishes and the wind would blow the smell of them in the house, making us hungry for them.

May 20, 2016 at 8:45 am

Making time for gardening is beneficial to our well being.

May 20, 2016 at 9:02 am

@bestwriter I live on the outskirts of a metro in a township developed by a famous builder with lots of space at my disposal. I have many fruits plants but I have many flowers to (curtsy my wife) We have roses, Marry-gold, Bougainvillea and few varieties of  Jasmines.

May 20, 2016 at 9:39 am

@suny

Nice to hear that. If each of us took interest in gardening this world would be a great place to be.

May 20, 2016 at 12:04 pm

@bestwriter  I am not much into gardening…Too lazy for that! But I admire nature. We don’t have enough space in our house but I have a few potted plants which are generally various varieties of palm as they need less care and hard work.

May 20, 2016 at 1:12 pm

@shaloo walia  You can try with just one pot with simple flowers and see the joy you will get when you see the first bud.

May 20, 2016 at 2:18 pm

@bestwriter/

nope I do not grow flowers, I don’t have the green thumb for that.

However, I could grow vegetables from the roots instead.

I have no problems with spinach, mustard seeds, aloe vera, curry leaves, spring onions and chives.

However, my MIL had a flowerpot of pink lily, it withered over the time.

I cut off all the leaves and left the pot in the corner.

After a month of rain fall, the pink lily began to grow new blades of leaves, very green and long, shiny blades.

Last week, there were 4 pink lilies blooming, was much surprised that the “dead” flower had “reborn’ on its own.

Now the flowers had withered again, hoping to see the pink flowers blooming again maybe the next few months.

I will attach the photo after this.

May 20, 2016 at 2:21 pm

That is what is called gardening – your vegetables I mean. I wish I had a green thumb for vegetables. Lilies remain dormant and bloom when the season is right for them.

May 20, 2016 at 2:30 pm

flower7

pink lily taken by peachpurple

May 20, 2016 at 2:36 pm

@bestwriter/

ah… no wonder, I thought those flowers were dead when they dried up. They reborn on their own when the season is right.

May 20, 2016 at 3:41 pm

I have many varieties of lilies in my garden. There is one that comes up soon after the first thunder. 001

May 20, 2016 at 4:12 pm

@peachpurple The pink lily is very beautiful. I wish I can plant them in my garden.

I used to plant a pot of purple flowers (I do not know the name, but I will try to take a photo of it later), sunflowers and a few wild flowers (I do not know the names either). But since I am pregnant and was feeling really sick during my first trimester, I didn’t take care of them, and now they are gone.

I like to grow vegetables too. It’s nice to eat the food we grow, it’s much healthier and more convenient too. We just go to our garden, pick the vegetables and cook them. I used to plant lady fingers, cherry tomatoes, spring onions, sweet potato leaves, aloe vera. I also have a small mulberry tree. It’s easier to grow than I expected.

I do not have green thumb, but I would always like to learn gardening, especially doing it together with my children. It’s something fun to do, and it’s a good lesson for my children and myself too.

I would like to grow my garden again, perhaps a few months later when I am not so busy with my baby. 🙂

May 20, 2016 at 5:29 pm

@Lee Ka. I am glad you have no green fingers as you would eat them along with your lady’s fingers. Must I say more that you have great green fingers!!!!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by  bestwriter. Reason: typo

May 20, 2016 at 6:31 pm

I just moved to a condo in December so now I am starting all over again. I am limited to containers growing and so far I have spent too much money gathering pots, plants and soil, so it will be for now.

I have three pots of flowers: pincushion, tickseed, and columbine flowers; also I have three pots of herbs: green onions, mints (spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint) and basils (Thai basil and sweet basil).

In the area that the condo allows me to do anything I planted gladiolus and sunflowers. They are growing about a foot tall at the moment and I am so happy to see them coming up.

[caption id="attachment_5664" align="alignnone" width="300"]Herbs and Flowers Containers Herbs and Flowers Containers[/caption]